The family of a seven-year-old boy who died after floodwaters entered his family’s basement were too upset to speak after hearing a thorough state-held inquest into his death will not go ahead.
The family of Zane Gbangbola were unable to comment as Coroner Richard Travers announced he would not be launching an Article 2 inquest into Zane’s death at Woking Coroner’s Court today.
Zane Gbangbola, seven, a former pupil at St George’s Junior School in Weybridge, suffered a cardiac arrest at his home in Chertsey after floodwaters entered his family’s home on February 8, 2014.
The family have maintained that poisonous gases from a former landfill site contaminated the floodwaters, causing their son’s death.
Kye Gbangbola, Zane’s father, also suffered, and has lost the use of his legs - something he attributes to the effects of hydrogen cyanide poisoning.
Mr Travers announced his decision after hearing arguments from the family’s lawyer, Leslie Thomas QC, as well as from representatives of Spelthorne Borough Council, Surrey Hire and Sales and Bretts Aggregates.
Mr Thomas, who represented the family of Bobbi and Christi Shepherd who died from toxic gas inhalation following negligence by Thomas Cook, told the court there were 10 parts per milligram of hydrogen cyanide recorded in the family’s home at the time of Zane’s death.
He added that this “real and not fanciful” evidence confirmed the theory of hydrogen cyanide poisoning.
This was rejected by barrister Ivor Collett, representing Spelthorne Borough Council.
He said: “There is simply no evidence of anything dangerous on this land in any way relevant to this inquest.”