Today Zane Gbangbola would have become a teenager, but he was killed when his home was flooded in February 2014.
An inquest in 2016 controversially found Zane died of carbon monoxide poisoning - despite fire services finding hydrogen cyanide in their Surrey home.
Kye Gbangbola, 53, and Nicole Lawler, 42, have been joined by a string of trade unions and 50 MPs in their fight for an independent public inquiry into their boy’s death.
Kye was left with serious health issues which has confined him to a wheelchair
He said there has been a “wall of silence” from authorities, who the parents insist covered up the cyanide poisoning in a bid to prevent the public from knowing what happened.
Kye is paralysed from the waste down as result of exposure to cyanide, according to medical documents seen by the Mirror.
He said: “Children should not die and the truth behind their deaths go uninvestigated.
“Zane was a lovely, kind, bright young lad with his whole life laid out in front of him to enjoy - but it was taken away.”
The Fire Brigade’s Union is backing the parents’ campaign.
General Secretary Matt Wrack told the Mirror: “It is a scandal that Zane’s family still have not heard the truth about his death. We have serious concerns about how the inquest was conducted.
“There are troubling gaps in evidence and many questions that remain unanswered. Surrey firefighters found the deadly nerve gas hydrogen cyanide in Zane’s home.
“Five years on, it still seems clear that the toxin was released from the unregulated landfill site adjacent, ultimately leading to Zane’s death.
“There must now be an independent panel inquiry so that those issues can be addressed and those responsible for any failings can be held to account.”
The Thames burst its banks in February 2014 but Zane’s parents said the road between the river and their house remained dry, while their property was flooded by water from a former landfill site behind their home.
The parents have evidence, they say, including medical reports that back up their claims, along with statements and test results that were not included in the inquest.
Evidence they have gathered also includes archives documenting munitions-testing on the land in the 1940s and waste-tipping in the 1960s, they say.
“This is my beautiful little boy, and he died,” said Kye, a European buildings expert.
The land near their home
“Emergency COBRAS, Porton Down, Hazard Area Response Teams and evacuations followed what happened - everything you saw at Salisbury happened to us.
“At Salisbury, over 130 diplomats were expelled from countries around the world.
“When children were thought to be poisoned by chemical gases in Syria, tomahawk missiles were fired into the country.
“When it happened to Zane in Surrey - nothing.
“Our son had just been killed. Our medical records, within minutes of his death, recorded notifications of hydrogen cyanide.
Kye and Nicole still live in the same home where their boy died - after having to leave it for more than a year after the tragedy due to the toxicity present.
The Environment Agency built a property next door to the family’s home in 2010 and fitted it with gas proof membrane, but it is alleged it did not tell the community of the dangers it had found at the former landfill site.
The 2016 inquest said Zane died from carbon monoxide poisoning from a petrol-powered pump at the house in Chertsey, Surrey.
But the parents say the pump had not been used.
Five years on, they insist their boy deserves justice and warn the same tragedy could hit millions more in the UK living close to landfill.
Zane's parents claim that he died of a result of toxic floodwater
“Zane’s inquest was marred by various areas of critical evidence being hidden and witnesses not being called,” said Kye.
Kye and Nicole still live in the same home where their boy died in Chertsey, Surrey.
House prices on the side of the road next to the former landfill site have plummeted and cannot be sold, Kye said.
“It was not a scene of devastation when we returned,” said Kye.
“It was an odourless gas that killed our son and so nothing had changed - but the most precious thing in our lives had been removed.
“At the time Zane becomes a teenager, 13 is such an important age, this is a time we should reflect on what has happened in the past five years.
“We’re friends with all of the people who were around when Zane was born.
“Lots of families are therefore celebrating their childrens’ 13th birthdays and of course we celebrate with them, but there is a huge feeling of loss.
“We’re in a club of people that nobody ever wants to be in.
“What happened is a disgrace to this country and to our politicians. Those in power have no right to violate Zane’s rights.
“They want us to go and away but we will not - we will keep on fighting.”
A Defra spokesperson said: “This is a tragic case and our thoughts remain with the Gbangbola family.
“Throughout the inquest the Environment Agency provided detailed evidence to assist the independent coroner in reaching his conclusions.”
To sign the parents’ petition for a public inquiry, visit here .
For the original Mirror article click here